As the 100 degree days approach, we are all interested in keeping our electrical and cooling costs down and staying comfortable in our homes. There are a number of ways to save on energy during the summer without sacrificing a cool and enjoyable experience inside the home. Some of the tips Cogburnâ€™s Heating and Air offer are the obvious: have your AC unit checked Â by one of our expert technicians before the really hot days arrive, change your air filters on a regular basis and make sure your outside unit is free of dirt.
There are a number of very effective ways to save on energy that many people overlook. These are simple and inexpensive, yet together can save up to 40% on your cooling bills.
Here are just a few steps you can take to lower your cooling and electric costs for the summer:
- Switch on your ceiling fan. This simple step makes the room feel at least 4 degrees cooler. Be sure to turn the fan to a counter-clockwise direction for the summer months. This makes it possible to lower your thermostat by 4 degrees. For each degree you lower your thermostat, you can cut your air conditioning bill by 5%!
- Remember to turn off your fan when you leave your house as there is no need to use the electricity powering the fan while you are away.
- Close air vents to rooms you are not using. You do not want to pay for cooling a room you rarely go into.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This inexpensive step can result in up to a 15% savings on cooling bills. Our Cogburnâ€™s techs can install a new programmable thermostat.
- Make sure the attic insulation is sufficient for your home. Attic insulation should meet a rating of R-30 to significantly reduce your bills.
- Installing wind turbines in your roof constantly draws heat and moisture from your attic. Just two turbines for the average home makes a huge difference in the attic temperature.
- Check the insulation around doors and windows. If you see light around your door insulation or feel a draft, you can easily replace the door insulation for under $25.00.
- Leaving the lights on in rooms you are not using and not buying the more energy efficient bulbs can add up to over $250.00 per year per average household.
- Leaving your home computer on all of the time can cost you over .25 per day. That may not sound like much, but that adds up to over $90.00 per year.
- Block the sun by making sure blinds and curtains are drawn in the heat of the day. This can save up to 10% off your cooling bill.
There are many more ways to save money this summer. When you call the professionals at Cogburnâ€™s Heating and Air for your summer AC check up, ask our tech for other ways to save. We want to make sure we work with you to make your home a cool and comfortable retreat from the hot North Texas summer! Cogburnâ€™s has been the leader in heating and air conditioning maintenance, repair and installation in the North Texas area since 1999. We are experts on all brands and have an â€śAâ€ť rating with the Better Business Bureau. Our goal is to keep your present heating and cooling system running reliably and efficiently as long as possible and offer you the very best quality and service when you need a replacement unit.