Warm weather is here and we can be sure the hot days of summer are just weeks away. We all want to improve the energy efficiency of our homes and AC units so that we can stay cool and keep our utility bills as low as possible. This is actually a fairly easy thing to do. Here are some simple steps to make sure your home is comfortable and your AC runs efficiently and reliably all summer long:
- Set your thermostat at the highest comfortable temperature. You may well find that you are just as comfortable at 74 degrees rather than the 70 degrees you have been setting the thermostat in the past. It is a fact that for each degree you turn down your thermostat, you lower your utility bill by 5%,
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. These are fairly inexpensive and allow you to set the temperature a bit higher while you are away and can be programmed to go to a cooler setting prior to your arrival.
- Keep in mind fans make us feel cooler, but do not drop the room temperature. So, when you leave your home, turn off the fans. Leaving them on while you are away simply uses more electricity.
- Make a point of changing your air filter on a regular basis. Standard filters should be replaced every month. Some high end pleated filters can last up to 90 days, but be sure to check these every month. A dirty filter can cause extra wear on your unit, result in higher bills and make the indoor air unhealthy.
- At least once per season, rinse your outside unit with a low pressure water hose to clear debris and dirt that can accumulate.
- Finally, make sure your AC unit is properly maintained by a HVAC specialist. Cogburn’s Heating and Air has been a leader in HVAC systems in the greater Denton area since 1999. We have an “A” rating with the Better Business Bureau and our techs are experts on every brand. Ask us about our Club Membership programs. By becoming a member, you are assured of regular maintenance on your heating and AC unit and you will save money. Call for your summer tune up and inspection today at 866-523-8762.